The Big Bang Theory is an American sitcom created by Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady, both of whom serve as executive producers on the show, along with Steven Molaro. All three also serve as head writers. It premiered on CBS on September 24, 2007.
Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper are both brilliant physicists working at Cal Tech in Pasadena, California. They are colleagues, best friends, and roommates, although in all capacities their relationship is always tested primarily by Sheldon’s regimented, deeply eccentric, and non-conventional ways. They are also friends with their Cal Tech colleagues mechanical engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. The foursome spend their time working on their individual work projects, playing video games, watching science-fiction movies, or reading comic books. As they are self-professed nerds, all have little or no luck with popular women. When Penny, a pretty woman and an aspiring actress originally from Omaha, moves into the apartment next to Leonard and Sheldon’s, Leonard has another aspiration in life, namely to get Penny to be his girlfriend. Written by Huggo
- The two main characters (Sheldon Cooper and Leonard Hofstadter) are named after late television producer Sheldon Leonard.
- Penny was an add-on from a different sitcom concept. She had been originally envisioned as Katie, a more cynical, hard-drinking, streetwise girl who worked at a makeup salon. In the original unaired pilot, she was played by Amanda Walsh.
- The original working title of the show was “Lenny, Penny, and Kenny.”
- Sheldon is from Texas, as is Jim Parsons.
- Raj’s inability to talk to women except when drunk is based on an old coworker of executive producer Bill Prady when he worked at a computer company.
- Sheldon frequently wears T-shirts with the characters or symbols of Green Lantern, the Flash, or the old TV show The Greatest American Hero. The shirts from the “Green Lantern” comic book series are various colors with a corresponding symbol, with each color representing a different corps of heroes or villains (e.g. Red Lanterns, Orange Lanterns, etc). In the comics each color also represents an emotion, thus possibly giving the viewer a clue to Sheldon’s temperament for the day.
- While Wil Wheaton was appearing on the show, he took a photo of the set’s coffee table and posted it on his much-followed blog. Among the materials on the coffee table were copies of “Mental Floss” magazine; “The Sandman Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections” by Neil Gaiman; a package of Pepperidge Farm Sausalito milk chocolate macadamia nut chunk cookies; a package of Red Vines licorice; and a package of Tim’s brand Original Flavor lightly salted potato chips.
- Some of the signs in the laundry room read “No open containers on the machines,” “Do not leave laundry unattended,” and “Please keep your clothes on while doing laundry.”
- Despite the fact that some viewers take Sheldon’s behavior, mannerisms, and social skills as a sign that Sheldon has Asperger’s Syndrome or otherwise falls on the “Autism spectrum,” the show-runners have persistently denied in many interviews that Sheldon has Asperger’s or Autism.
- In fall 2010, Kaley Cuoco revealed to “CBS Watch! Magazine” that she and her “Big-Bang Theory” co-star and love interest Johnny Galecki had secretly dated for two years earlier in the run of the show, but they were no longer together.
- Leonard’s last name, Hofstadter, refers to two well-known scientists: Robert Hofstadter, the 1961 Nobel Laureate in Physics, and his son Douglas Hofstadter, who researches consciousness and cognition, and whose best-selling book about philosophy, mathematics, puzzles, art, and music, “Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid,” was published in 1979 and won him the 1980 Pulitzer Prize for general nonfiction.
- As the series progressed, each taping of the show was attended by Caltech students.
- Sheldon verbally reveals his and Leonard’s Pasadena apartment 4A’s location as being 2311 Los Robles in “The Desperation Emanation.” In the 100th episode, Sheldon also reveals that their apartment building is across the street from the Colorado Avenue Chevron gas station, making their building a corner location, on the corner of Los Robles and Colorado. There are two incidences of this intersection in southern California, both located in Los Angeles County, the first one is E Colorado Blvd & N Los Robles Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101, and the second one being Colorado Blvd & Los Robles St, Los Angeles, CA 90041. However, 2311 Los Robles is not an address by either one of those intersections.
- Recurring guest Mayim Bialik is the only cast member to have a PhD. In 2008, she completed her neuroscience studies.
- On 14 January 2011, CBS gave the series a rare vote of confidence when it issued a three-year renewal through the 2013-14 season.
- The character Howard Wolowitz is named after someone the creator worked with at a computer company.
- Most of the time Leonard has no glass in his glasses.
- Sara Gilbert (Leslie) who plays a former girlfriend of Leonard’s, also played Johnny Galecki’s girlfriend in Roseanne. Laurie Metcalf, who plays Sheldon’s mother, was also his co-star in Roseanne.
The Big Bang Theory is an awesome TV Show. We have selected the 15 best The Big Bang Theory wallpapers. Download below a high quality The Big Bang Theory wallpapers in wide range of HD resolutions for your PC or Mobile desktop.